Re: Rearing up on hind legs (was Re: Parrish's neck work ...)

Richard Travsky wrote:

>> I am curious that no one has mentioned rearing here.  If any sauropods
>> could rear, there would be no need for them to flex the neck upward to any
>> degree as the rearing would do that for them - but a considerable degree of
>> ventriflexion might be extremely useful to a rearing sauropod trying to get
>> at some tasty foliage on the far side of a tree.  Of course, if rearing was
>> part of their behaviour then Parrish's discovery does not mean that they
>> could not feed in trees - only that they had to rear to do it.  (PS - I
>> have not read the paper in Science)
>
>This has implications besides just feeding.

Steven and Sylvia Czerkas said in their book "Dinosaurs - A Global View"
such tripodal stances by sauropods would only be short-lived. They
mentioned something about how the re-orientation of the body in a
diagonal-near vertical position creates enormous pressure on the
cardio-pulmonary system, restricting either blood circulation or
respiration (let me check my copy of the book). Hence, they would only hold
that position for short periods before being forced to stand on fours
again, lest they black out.

Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog
Mines and Geosciences Bureau
Philippines