Re: Parrish's neck work ... -Reply

If we suppose that they reared to eat, lets not forget the blood pressure
problem.  I can't recall the numbers, but the pressure necessary to supply the
brain with oxygen in a vertical position is pretty unreasonable.  Further,
(just thought of this and haven't worked through)  the speed with which the
heart would have to react to avoid a sudden loss of pressure as the head was
raised by that long lever arm would have to be pretty impressive.

>>> <UNION4884@aol.com> 04/30/99 02:22pm >>>
Would there be any evolutionary advantage to having such a long neck, if  the
head couldn't be lifted to snack on treetops.  It doens't seem logical that
sauropods would develop as they did, and not be able to lift their heads
above 10 or 12 feet.

Barb