Re: Rearing up on hind legs (was Re: Parrish's neck work ...)

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Raymond Ancog wrote:
> Richard Travsky wrote:
>
> >> I am curious that no one has mentioned rearing here.  If any sauropods
> >> could rear, there would be no need for them to flex the neck upward to any
> >> degree as the rearing would do that for them - but a considerable degree of
> >> ventriflexion might be extremely useful to a rearing sauropod trying to get
> >> at some tasty foliage on the far side of a tree.  Of course, if rearing was
> >> part of their behaviour then Parrish's discovery does not mean that they
> >> could not feed in trees - only that they had to rear to do it.  (PS - I
> >> have not read the paper in Science)
> >
> >This has implications besides just feeding.
>
> Steven and Sylvia Czerkas said in their book "Dinosaurs - A Global View"
> such tripodal stances by sauropods would only be short-lived. They
> mentioned something about how the re-orientation of the body in a
> diagonal-near vertical position creates enormous pressure on the
> cardio-pulmonary system, restricting either blood circulation or
> respiration (let me check my copy of the book). Hence, they would only hold
> that position for short periods before being forced to stand on fours
> again, lest they black out.

I had mentioned mating in my first response to this thread.

>From what you write above, this would make mating somewhat more
dangerous. Especially if some sort of harem scheme were in effect,
with mulitple females to one male. A group of females coming
into heat (if such happened) could've been deadly to the male.

rich