Re: Amargasaurus

Dinochandler said:
Bison
have neural projections similar to that of _Ouranosaurus_ and _Spinosaurus_
and they have humps, not sails.

And went on further to say that the humps were potentially fatty and stored energy, etc., like bison (and camels I presume). The reference does not come immediately to mind, but it was published in the journal of paleontology if I recall correctly. My problem with this idea was that the large neural spines of a bison are supporting large muscles and the nuchal ligament for their big heads. Camels, which have very large humps, do not have very large neural spines. Can we infer a fatty hump from tall neural spines? What's up with spinosaurs, then, or for that matter Dimetrodon and other pelycosaurs? I'm not sure I'm convinced. As both animals used as analogs here are mammals, that makes me more leary. Perhaps mammals in desert climes are developing these fatty humps for energy and water storage in part because they excrete urea. They lose more water than a reptile or bird, which excretes uric acid, a much more water conservative fluid/paste. As dinosaurs probably excreted uric acid, the need for a water-storage hump seems less likely. I cannot think of a bird or reptile with fatty storage sacs/humps, but if those of you out there can, please post to the list.

Matt Bonnan