GLOBIDENTINES

Nick Longrich wrote...

> I saw something pretty cool the other day- a mosasaur called
> "Globicidens" or something like that. It had these absolutely
> massive jaws-no, I mean really heavy- and teeth like one-inch
> ball-bearings, sometimes with a tiny nipple in the middle.

_Globidens_. A very special, malacophagous (=durophagous) mosasaur
that probably fed on bivalves. Ask Mike Everhart - he has photos of
specimens on his web site: I have seen specimens in Maastricht. There
is another ball-toothed mosasaur, _Igdamanosaurus_, from
Nigeria, but if I remember correctly this is not regarded as closely
related to the globidentines. Nick has a point - most other
durophagores have flattened teeth that form a 'pavement'.

"Learn from your parent's mistakes: use birth control"

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
P01 3QL                               [COMING SOON:
http://www.naish-zoology.com]