Re: GLOBIDENTINES

>Darren Naish wrote:
>
>>_Globidens_. A very special, malacophagous (=durophagous) mosasaur
>>that probably fed on bivalves.
>
>It's actually very unlikely that globidentine mosasaurs fed on bivalves.
>Ammonites and nautiloids are far better candidates, and perhaps turtles.

        Yeah, I agree- you see those pictures of ammonoids with puncture
marks in their shells. Well no ammonoid would get away from THIS thing with
a few mere puncture marks! Considering how abundant they were, it would
only make sense to have things designed specially to pursue them.
         - those teeth would be incredibly robust and seem designed to do
stuff differently than the flat crushers of placodonts and otters. The
ball-like structure and nipple, along with the robust jaws mounting the
teeth, would allow very large forces to be concentrated in very small
areas, leading to fracture. Something like what you do when you crack an
egg- hit it on the corner of the bowl to concentrate a lot of force in a
very small area, creating huge stresses. Anybody have an idea why ammonoids
would require different predatory adaptations than, say, a bivalve?