Re: Important feathered dinosaurs

At 01:49 PM 06/12/1999 -0500, you wrote:
Ronald Orenstein wrote:

Actually the #2 specimen we really need has yet to turn up - a fossil (a) with absolutely undoubted feathers (b) that is unquestionably a non-avian dinosaur.

I thought we already had such a specimen: _Caudipteryx_. It has pennaceous feather AND looks pretty comfortable as an oviraptorosaur. (By contrast, Feduccia and Olson have shoehorned _Caudipteryx_ into the Aves. Pshaw!!!)

By "unquestionably" I mean "so clearly a dinosaur that even Feduccia et al can't call it one". I quite accept that Caudipteryx is "pretty comfortable" as an oviraptorisaur, but Larry Martin will gladly give you several osteological reasons for saying otherwise.

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court