DEAD ELEPHANTS

Darren Tanke noted that none of the dead elephants in Beard's
book 'The End of the Game' are seen to lie on their sides. My primary
source for the 'orientiation' of dead elephants (some of you at SVP
may recall me postulating a link between handedness and which side
an animal lies down on when moribund) was Clive Spinage's excellent
_Elephants_, one of the Poyser Natural History books. In this text
Spinage discusses elephant taphonomy and includes his thoughts on how
it apparently relates to handedness.

Beard's other book., _Eyelids of Morning_, is even more interesting
in its many many photos of dead crocodiles. It's also of special
esoteric interest in including a photo of a kuri cattle eating
waterplants while submerged up to its neck. This is interesting
because, as discussed in some of the arcane zoological literature,
whether or not kuri cattle do actually swim and feed in water as much
as has traditionally been implied is under suspicion. At least.. I
think the animal in _Eyelids of Morning_ is a kuri cattle....

"Everyone can do whatever they want - but we will kill those who
don't"

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
P01 3QL                               [COMING SOON:
http://www.naish-zoology.com]