Re: THE NEW ISH OF JVP

Pete Buchholz wrote-

>Speaking of new cladograms....  Penkalski and Dodson describe what appears
to be a new skull of _Avaceratops_ and use info from both specimens to
generate a cladogram that places _Avaceratops_ outside of Chasmosaurinae +
Centrosaurinae.  They also move the Ceratopidae down to the node joining all
three :-P instead of ={Chasmosaurus + Centrosaurus} like everyone else has
it (Jon Wagner I am sure is already pulling out his hair).

Two questions-
1. Are they allowed to redefine Ceratopsidae like this?  I know phylogenetic
taxonomy is new and higher taxa aren't covered by the ICZN, but will all you
professionals have to use this definition of the family until/unless someone
else redefines it?
2. Where do they think Zuniceratops and Turanoceratops belong compared to
Avaceratops?

Mickey Mortimer