Re: Eustreptospondylus Q's

Betty wrote:

<The gait that Jaime mentions involving a series of leaps interupting
a fast run is called pronging (or bounding). Could a quadrapedal
dinosaur do this pronging?  Or would the weight be too much on
landing, what with acceleration added to the regular mass of the
animal.>

  Depends on the animal. The longest legged quadruped I can think of
is *Thecodontosaurus*, and while the bones of the forearm are slender,
I don't beleive they are as strait as required for the process. And I
think the hand was wrongly constructed, but I may be wrong. However,
there are a few other small animals with more slender hands that may
be more compatible. Greg Paul did an excellent short study on the
bounding possibilties of *Marasuchus* most easily demonstrated by the
slender forearms and very long hind legs, as in rabbits, frogs, and
*Thecodontosaurus* (and *Scleromochlus*) (Paul, 1988). The
biomechanics may differ on the results, but mass is not entirely
restrictive of the process, as *Thecodontosaurus* was probably only a
little larger than a big hare.