1st Inland sea incursion

During what age did N.America first experience an incursion by a sea and
from which direction ?I'm trying to determine possible faunal exchanges
between western and eastern N. America . I'm especially concerned with
whether or not A.atokensis could have inhabited the Southeastern United
States . I understand that depositional characteristics east of the
Appalachians mitigate against finding much in the way of complete skeletons
, but this beast was large enough to at least leave some fragmentary
remains . Thanks in advance !
Regards ,
Truett Garner