Re: Bounding *Thecodontosaurus*

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 22:45:19 -0800 (PST) "Jaime A. Headden"
<qilongia@yahoo.com> writes:
[snip]
>  The pelvis, actually, and the metatarsals, are the strongest
>criteria, I think, while the other components are not nearly so.
>Rabbits and pronghorns both have very long metatarsals in relations to
>their femora, and very short (front to back) ilia; the muscles that
>pull the femur up and tibia forward (m. iliofemoralis, and m.
>femorotibialis) are closely appressed to the femur, and quite narrow,
>and short.
[snip]

   Aha: thus *Thecodontosaurus*, which had some of the relatively
shortest (front-back) ilia around the Dinosauria.

><For that matter, the limbs of *Protoceratops* have that look to
them...>

>  In the case of Lepto and Proto, I believe it was quantified at one
>point whether Proto could hop or not, perhaps in the same paper that
>disproved its ability to gallop. For one, the metatarsus and
>metacarpus are quite broad and the ends of the bones splayed. If the
>animal put the amount of weight it would use when "bounding" it's mass
>would rip the tendons binding the hand and/or feet together, and would
>virtually cripple it. A pronghorn has a considerable less amount of
>mass than a proto. Especially with that head---it might just fall
>over.
[snip]

   Ouch: a bounding *Protoceratops* could get insult added to injury:
crippling the hand and feet, plus the possibility of landing head-first
in one of those sand dunes.  It doesn't sound like a particularly good
method of locomotion for these critters, and probably wouldn't increase
their appeal to members of the opposite gender either.  Still, does that
hold true for, say, *Microceratops*?

><Let's not forget heterodontosaurids, either...>
>
>  Heteros had shorter hindlegs, comparatively, than did prosauropods.
>I doubt they could bound, and I had considered them. More slender and
>curvaceous hindlimbs, though, but you expect that from these fellows.
>Everything's gotta be cool! So pop your shades on out there, all you
>Hetero skeletons, this one's for you!

    I believe you, except for heterodontosaurid accessory preferences.
I've always seen them as more of hat-wearers, myself :-).
    Before I go, I'm going to drop one more name: *Scutellosaurus*.   It
has slender forelimbs (as far as can be told), metatarsals about half the
length of the femur (longer relative than *Thecodontosaurus*, I think),
fairly short ilium (but not as much as *Theco*), hind limbs about twice
the length of the forelimb (again, the manus is missing and the
ulna\radius are incompletely known), and small (for a nonavian dinosaur)
adult size.  Would the long tail and body armor have hindered its ability
to bound, if it had any?  Thanks in advance!

Random Rant: While watching the Rose Bowl parade on TV, I saw a float
with dinosaurs (and pterosaurs) on it, and heard a commentator refer to
*Tyrannosaurus* as "Tryannosaurus".  Then, the other commentator called
*Ankylosaurus* "Anklieosaurus" (I have no idea what they called "the one
with wings"). Arrgh!-*Thescelosaurus*

>Jaime A. Headden
>
>Qilong, the website, at:
>http://members.tripod.com/~Qilong/qilong.html
>---
>All comments and criticisms are welcome!

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]