Re: skin impression /troodon question

>From: Ron Buckley <ronbuckley@fuse.net>
>Hi, I hoping you can answer a few questions for me. I have a piece of
>sandstone type of material with a skin impression.

Please forgive me, but are you really sure you have a skin impression? I've
seen lots of misidentified "dino skin". Sometimes it's quite understandable
because mud cracks and other such features can sometimes look quite
convincing. I'd get someone else to take a look if you're not sure. If you
know it's a skin impression I'd take it to someone anyway. It may be of
interest to science.

> Also is there any type of preservative that should be put on this specimen.

Try to resist the urge to do anything to it. If the specimen is stable, by
all means leave it alone.  As a preparator you quickly learn that
"preservatives" can be a mixed blessing.  Prints are generally left alone
anyway- you wouldn't want to gunk up any surface markings by dumping
something on it! Once again let someone skilled look at it first. (When
training preparators they should make them remove glue and consolidant from
a gunked up specimen first before they even have access to "glues". But I
digress! )

>It appears from the drawing with the scale that the ungual for the Troodon
>is only about 1/2". Is >this correct?

I think Troodon has bigger hand claws than in the foot. 1/2" sounds too
small to me. Unguals in these little theropods have a tendency to become
longer and curved- Do we even have an entire well preserved manus for
Troodon?  I know postcranial remains are sketchy. I'm pushing my "off the
top of the head" knowledge, so I'll go back to lurking and let someone else
fill in more details.

-Sherry
ANSP prep lab