Re: Ricardoestia or Richardestia?

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/4/99 9:07:08 PM EST, DINOBOY@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> << The name is Ricardoestesia gilmorei(Currie ,Rigby &Sloan, 1990 ) known only
>  by a pair of dentaries with unerupted and germ teeth. These teeth were
>  found in the Judith River Formation (according to Currie , et.al.).However
>  ,in the same paper there is Richardoestesia n. gen. , evidently from the
>  Milk River,Scollard,Frenchman,Hell Creek& Lance Formations . The name of
>  the former was changed within the past year , I think . Hope this helps
>  (confusing as it may be !). >>

The teeth of Ricardoestesia are destinct and have been found in several
localities as well as desplaced during the Cretaceous.

Heres what I have so far...

Genus: Ricardoestesia CURRIE, RIGBY & SLOAN, 1990
Etymology: In honour of Richard Estes, whose 1964 paper on Lance
Formation microvertebrate fossils demonstrated the use of theropod teeth
in faunal studies.
= Richardoestesia CURRIE, RIGBY & SLOAN, 1990 (sic)

Species: gilmorei CURRIE, RIGBY & SLOAN, 1990
Etymology: In honour of G. W. Gilmore who first described this specimen.
  = Richardoestesia gilmorei CURRIE, RIGBY & SLOAN, 1990

Holotype: NMC 343

Locality:  Dinosaur Provincial Park, Sec. 30, tp. 20, RIIW, 4th mer. 2
1/2 miles south of the mouth of Little Sandhill creek, Red Deer River,
Alberta, Canada.

Horizon: Dinosaur Park Formation, Judith River Group, Campanian, Late
Cretaceous.

Material: Remains of a pair of dentaries with unerupted and germ teeth.

Referred material:

CURRIE, 1990

Horizon: Dinosaur Park Formation, Judith River Group, Campanian, Late
Cretaceous.

Horizon: Judith River Formation, Campanian, Late Cretaceous.

Material:

TMP 80.8.298, 84.89.274, 83.129.11, 80.16.1230: Teeth.
Note: Troodontid?
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

FIORILLO & CURRIE, 1994

Localities: Careless Creek Quarry, Emily's Ankle Quarry, Hidden Valley
Quarry, Blackbird Ridge Quarry, Wheatland and Golden Valley Counties,
Central Montana.

Horizon: Judith River Formation, Campanian, Late Cretaceous.

Material: ANSP 15824, 15942, 15952, 17647, 17782, 17784, 17983, 18101,
18104, 18114, 18115, 18119: Teeth.
Note: Exact distribution not given.

cf. Ricardoestesia

CURRIE, 1990

TMP 81.16.194

Locality: Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta, Canada.

Horizon: Dinosaur Park Formation, Judith River Group, Campanian, Late
Cretaceous.

Material: Tooth.
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

DERSTLER, 1995

Numbers:

Locality: Dragons' Grave, Niobrara County, Wyoming.

Horizon: Lance Formation, Maestrichtian, Late Cretaceous.

Material: Shed teeth.
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

= cf. Ricardoestia sp KIRKLAND, BRITT, BURGE, CARPENTER, CIFELLI,
DECOURTEN, EATON, HASIOTIS & LAWTON, 1997

Number:

Locality: West side of the San Rafael Swell, south of Mussentuchit Wash,
SW ¼, NW ¼, SE ¼, Sec. 4, T25S, R6E on the Willow Springs, Utah.

Horizon: Cedar Mountain Formation, Mussentuchit Member, Early
Cretaceous.

Material:
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

= cf. Ricardoestesia sp

Number:

Locality: Utah.

Horizon: Dakota Formation, Early Cretaceous.

Material:
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

cf. Ricardoestesia

RATKEVICH & DUFFEK, 1996

Number:

Locality: Adobe Canyon, Santa Rita Mountains, Arizona.

Horizon: Fort Crittenden Formation, Late Cretaceous.

Material: Teeth.
Note: 2 teeth fit on a penny.
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

ROWE, CIFELLI, LEHMAN & WEIL, 1992

TMM 43057-313

Locality: Terlingual local fauna, OMNH V58; TMM 43057, lies 8 km NNE of
Study Butte, Brewster County, Texas.

Horizon: Aguja Formation, Campanian, Late Cretaceous.

Material: Tooth.
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

cf. Richardostesia sp RYAN, 1997

Number:

Locality: Kyzyl Kum Desert of Uzbekistan.

Horizon: Bissekty Formation, Upper Turonian, Late Cretaceous.

Material:
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

RYAN, CURRIE, GARDNER & LAVIGNE, 1997

Number:

Locality: Drumheller Valley badlands, Southcentral Alberta, Canada.

Horizon: Horseshoe Canyon Formation, Lower Edmontonian, Early
Maastrichtian, Late Cretaceous.

Material: Teeth.
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

SANKEY, 1997

Number:

Locality: Near Talley Mountain, Big Bend National Park, Texas.

Horizon: Upper Aguja Formation, Late Campanian, Early Cretaceous.

Material:
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

TRIEBOLD, 1997

Number:

Locality: Sandy Site, Harding County, South Dakota.

Horizon: Hell Creek Formation, Maastrichtian, Late Cretaceous.

Material:
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

VARRICCHIO, 1995

Numbers: Not given.

Locality: Jack's Birthday Site, located along Badger Creek, in Glacier
County, Montana within the Blackfeet Indian Reservation.

Horizon: Two Medicine Formation, Campanian, Late Cretaceous.

Material:
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

WROBLEWSKI, 1995

Number:

Locality: Western Hanna Basin, Wyoming.

Horizon: Ferris Formation, Latest Maastrichtian near the K/T boundary,
Latest Cretaceous.

Material: Teeth.
____          ____          ____          ____          ____
____

= cf. Ricardoestia sp ZINKE, 1998

Locality: Guimarota lignite mine, 1.5 km SSE of Leiria, Portugal.

Horizon: Guimarota complex of lignitic marls, Oxfordian, Late Jurassic.

Material:

IPFUB GUID 118-155: 40 teeth.

Similar to Richardoestsia?

LEE, 1995, LEE, 1997

Locality: SMU locality 243, Tarant County, Texas.

Horizon: Woodbine Formation, Rush Creek Member, above basal contact with
the Grayson Formation, Cenomanian, Early Cretaceous.

Material:

SMU 73778, 73779: Teeth.

Tracy