EUSTREPTOSPONDYLUS

On _Eustreptospondylus_, Jaime Headden writes...

> I'm hoping for some new Eustrepto material to come out of England
> (or even Africa!).

I've got no problem with people wishing for more dinosaur fossils to
be discovered, but please don't get the impression that the only
known _Eustreptospondylus_ skeleton is inadequate and that we require
further specimens to understand this animal. The problem (in this
case) is not lack of material, but lack of study.

_Eustreptospondylus_ is one of those well known, tremendously poorly
known dinosaurs. In other words, despite its fame and frequent
appearance in popular texts, very little has been written about it,
and almost none of that useful. It still requires a detailed
monographic description: the most recent descriptive work of it was
in Alick Walker's 1964 paper, a monograph on _Ornithosuchus_!
(Admittedly, the _Eustreptospondylus_ braincase has also been briefly
discussed in some more recent papers on other large theropod taxa) .
Rumours abound that an English theropod student has looked at _E.
oxoniensis_ for her review on megalosaurs, but I cannot yet confirm
this. I kind of wanted to work on _E. oxoniensis_ myself.

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk