Re: EATIN' DINO (WAS: Re: One for the bird brigade)

At 09:18 AM 1/6/99 +0000, Brian Franczak wrote:
>L Nyveen wrote:
>
>> So, basically, what you're saying is that dinosaurs probably would  > in
fact taste like chicken.

>Don't be so quick to draw conclusions about dinosaurs tasting like
>chickens. Ostrich meat (which Donna Braginetz, Greg Wenzel and I had the
>opportunity to sample while in Utah for SVP) is red meat and virtually
>indistinguishable in taste and texture from bovine-derived steak. Food
>for thought... ;-)

Or that duck and goose (which are a lot more closely related to chicken than
ostriches) or turkey (even closer) all have their own distinctive taste as well.

On the subject of phylogeny and taste, on one of the Smithsonian digs at
Shell, Wyoming, the crew and paying participants were eating at the Wagon
Wheel (a local restaurant).  I ordered frog legs, which I hadn't had in a while.

Someone (who hadn't had them before) asked me what they taste like.  I said,
without thinking about it, "Sort of halfway between fish and chicken."

Heavens forfend, I was thinking (or at least tasting) gradistically rather
than cladistically!

If anyone out there will be at the Denver Society of Integrative &
Comparative Biology Meeting later this week, I'll see you there.  If I have
time when I get back, I'll post what went on at the feather origin symposium.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661