Re: Irritator,Suchomimus

Reply to:RE>>Irritator,Suchomimus                            8:10 AM
1/7/99

I wrote
<I believe it is somewhat safe to throw Spinosaurus in with
Suchomimus., and if I am wrong please let me know.>

 and Jaime Headden replied

>  If you're saying synonymizing Sucho with Spino so that Spino is the
proper name and Such a subjective synonym, I would hartily disagree.<

  I did not mean to imply that they were the same dinosaur, only that they
were closely related.  Any self-respecting person of science would clearly
understand the cladistical term "throw in"  ;-)

 David Krentz
--------------------------------------
Date: 1/6/99 8:59 PM
To: David Krentz
From: qilongia@yahoo.com
David Krentz wrote:

<I believe it is somewhat safe to throw Spinosaurus in with
Suchomimus., and if I am wrong please let me know.>

  If you're saying synonymizing Sucho with Spino so that Spino is the
proper name and Such a subjective synonym, I would hartily disagree.

  Spino lacks serrations on it's teeth, and Suchomimus' dentary is
much longer and shallower comparatively, and one more thing: Spino's
dentary not only projects dorsally, it also projects slightly on the
ventral side, unique of all known spinosaurid dentaries (Sucho, Bary,
and Spino).

  Anyway, that's what I assume you were talking about.

==
Jaime A. Headden

Qilong, the website, at:
---