RE: Leonine giant-killers

        ###################################

           The size ratio between an adult elephant & an averaged sized
adult male lion
        is ~ 20:1.  For a female lion it is ~ 25:1.  And African elephants
are far from
        helpless.  The essential element that allows predation of an animal
with such
        a tremendous mass advantage is cooperative hunting.  The dark could
aid this
        too, of course.  But, I don't see how we could extrapolate this to
say Allosaurus
        predation of an Apatosaurus.  The size ratio would be about the same
as between
        an adult male lion & an elephant, but is their enough evidence of
cooperative
        hunting among theropods to support this?
           Also, what is the rest of the elephant herd doing while one of
their number
        is killed?  Elephants are highly social animals.  I'm not saying
this doesn't
        happen, but it does leave a lot of questions unanswered.

        Dwight