Re: Leonine giant-killers

Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com writes:
<snip>
>          Also, what is the rest of the elephant herd doing while one of
> their number is killed?  Elephants are highly social animals.  I'm not
> saying this doesn't  happen, but it does leave a lot of questions
> unanswered.

Discovery Channel's web companion to last year's excellent multipart
series "The Ultimate Guide - Elephants" is still on line at:
http://eagle.online.discovery.com/area/nature/elephants/guide.html

While I don't remember any lion attacks in the series, it did document
elephant social behavior and the role of the matriarch in defending
others in the herd.

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com