Loch Ness

  The PBS program, Nova, _The Beast of Loch Ness_, was, to me very
disappointing and, sadly, poorly researched. I think I've mentioned this here
before, but I'll say it again: the original 1934 photo of "Nessie" is a
"swipe" from Charles R. Knight's 1898 watercolor of the then "Brontosaurus" at
the American Museum of Natural History. The AMNH Apatosaurus had not been
mounted yet and Knight gave the neck a very sharp angle from the body. He
corrected this in his magnificent sculpture posed in the same position as the
mounted skeleton. The watercolor, however, had already been reproduced around
the world, even in Scotland. Curiously, he reverted to the sharp angle again
whenever he depicted the animal partially submerged, as in the lithograph for
_Life Through the Ages_in 1940. Zallinger also "borrowed" Knight's imagery of
Brontosaurus for his Age of Reptiles mural at Yale--even down to the dewlap on
the ventral side of the neck.
 The classic Loch Ness monster photo displays Knight's quite unintentional
error. See for yourself. Too bad Nova did so little research of the
paleontological aspect. I wish we could have seen more of those wonderful
plesiosaurs at the B.M.(N.H.). Dan Varner.