        From:   Alien4240@aol.com [SMTP:Alien4240@aol.com]
        Sent:   Wednesday, January 13, 1999 5:55 PM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Re: Loch Ness

        I think that for a plesiosaur to surive there would have to be
multiple of
        them and thus more sightings should occur. If it had to breathe air
with
        lungs, it would have to surface often. Even whales can only hold
their breath
        for 20 to no more than an hour at a time until it must surface and
breathe
        there for a time. It seems that if something that large lived in a
somewhat
        confined area it should be seen more often.

        I watched a show a few weeks ago which was about hoaxes of bigfoot,
aliens,
        the Loch Ness monster and others. I showed how easy it was to make a
        believable hoax and told exactly how they did it. It also mentioned
several
        people who came out and told that their sighting were staged even
after many
        people believed. I think those people are just trying to "earn" fame
and
        fortune, and I think the public is too eager to eat it up.

        I read a book last summer entitled MEG. I was about about a
supposily
        extincted gigantic shark, Megalosaurus or something like that, which
survied
        for millions of years in the hot waters on the ocean floor by vents
that
        released hot gases. It survied the ice age like that and then gets
to the
        surface in the book and chases havic of all sorts but I was
wondering if
        anyone had read this or if there was such a shark. I know there's a
land
        theropod named the same. If anyone has read it, did you think it was
a very
        plausable way of surviving?

~Matt