Re: Loch Ness

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, John Schneiderman wrote:
> Not only solid frozen...but the ice was moving and sculpting out the
basin
> to a depth of 800 feet.  What are the chances of something locked in a
> moving mass of ice and staying in one piece?

Well, maybe not as bad as might be thought. A couple things
come to mind.

First is landslides and the like. (Probably using the wrong term here.)

There's some discussion as to how a segment of a hill/mountainside can
come down and all the pieces remain in relative position to one another.
Theories range from cushions of air to larger scale brownian motion.
(I've read about this and going from memory, so I know the above is
mangled.) Net result is that if the motion is uniform pieces stay in
context.

Second, there was a WWII flight that crashed in Greenland. A B17
and a pair of P38s. Found under the ice, preserving their relative
positions to one another.

An object will break apart and move eventually, tho. The question more
becomes, how much time would be needed for the pieces to migrate apart?
How long was the loch frozen?