Re: Baryonyx & Suchomimus

  Jessica "Gobi Gal" Wagar wrote:

<I was looking at the image/article on Suchomimus (I keep on wanting
to call is Suchiomimus!), and the animal looked a lot like
Baryonyx(sp) to me. According to one of my really old dinosaur books,
and the restoration, they look almost identical, were fairly close in
size and both have been found in Niger. What was different between the
two animals? How do we know the new Suchomimus wasn't a baryonyx?>

  Sucho has a much longer snout and jaw than Bary, and relative to
it's width, its much thinner in Sucho. The nasal crest in front of the
eyes is also differently shaped. Sucho has taller vertebral spine on
the hips than Bary, and based on size, was about as old as Bary (as if
they were alive, if you understand my meaning) but both were not full
grown; the hipbones are differently shaped, and the ilium has a taller
arch on the top. Oh, and less teeth in the jaws for longer jaws.

<Looking at the jaw of the restoration of the Suchomimus & Baryonyx, I
was wondering...couldn't they have used those jaws to grab hatchling
dinosaurs/eggs? *shrug* It looks like that'd be how it fed to me, but
that's just the idea I got from looking at it, and my dinosaur books
yesterday while I stayed home sick from school... Also, I was
wondering what makes Suchomimus a spinosaur?>

  Mostly the teeth and jaws. Check out the paper in _Science_ if you
can, from the website or from the printed journal itself. It'll have
more comprehensive details.

<and is Baryonyx a spinosaur too?>

  Yes, and the paper that described Sucho redefines Bary somewhat.
Bary has a few more papers to it's name, and you can find most of
these by doing a web search. There's also a website that can help you
find papers:

  http://eteweb.lscf.uscb.edu/bfv/bfv_form.html

  Thank Ralph Chapman III for bringing this to my attention. Using
Interlibrary Loan will help in getting these to you.

<They don't look anything like the spinosaurus restorations /I've/
seen (but then again, I've never seen a spinosaur skeleton to compare
to baryonyx or suchomimus....>

  There's a few...mostly vertebrae and the jaw, so not much to compare
to, but it's enough to define it.

==
- Often, it is the man who is brought
  down the path to the end who does