COELACANTHS & PARASAUROLOPHUS

Hello everyone. Trying to fight through the backlog, and I see quite
a few interesting things I mean to comment on. First off, Tom Holtz
wrote....

>  Monoplachs thus have a 350 million year gap of
>  non-recovery in the fossil record, making coelacanth's 65 million
>  gap pale in comparison.

Shame Tom, shame! Actinistians are now known from the Palaeocene of
Denmark (questionably, however) and the Miocene of Israel. The 65 Ma
coelacanth ghost lineage has closed considerably (note also that
latest K coelacanths were not known until _Megalocoelacanthus_ was
described by Schwimmer et al. in 1994).

On to something completely different.. David Norman (1985), in _The
Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Dinosaurs_, refers to Andrew Milner's
theory about the function of the lambeosaur crest: viz, it was a
foliage deflector used a bit like the crest of extant cassowaries. I
have never seen this theory described in the technical literature,
and was wondering if anyone could provide a ref. Thanks.

On the same theme, Milner's theory required that a 'notch' in the
caudal cervicals of _Parasaurolophus_ was not an artefact, but a
genuine feature present in all individuals. This is evidently
incorrect, but I am sure I've seen life restorations of
_Parasaurolophus_ where the 'neck notch' is evident. Sorted through
loads of dino art over the weekend and couldn't find it.. I thought
it might have been Jenny Halstead but alas was not. Can anyone cite
artwork with a  restored _Parasaurolophus_ that has the neck notch?

"Unless we assume scientists to be infallible, the fact that a theory
has been adopted does not justify that adoption" (Brady 1979 - -
perhaps he had just met Alan Feduccia?:))

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk