New refs #29

And now for some more stuff....

First the ref that's been the subject of much ado...

Miller, G.H. et al (6 more). 1999. Pleistocene extinction of Genyornis
   Newtoni: human impact on Australian megafauna. Science
   283:205-208 (plus cover). 8Jan99

Looks interesting and has covering comment:

Flannery, T.F. 1999. Debating extinction. Science 283:182-183.

And now some Nomenclatural discussion

Comments on the proposed designation of Iguanodon
   bernissartensis Boulenger in Beneden, 1881 as the type species
   Of Iguanodon Mantell, 1825, and proposed designation of a
   Lectotype. Bull. Zoological Nomenclature 55(4):239-241.

Discussion of proposal by Charig & Chapman (not me) to do as the title
suggests. Comments are here by Paul M. Barrett and our own Ken Carpenter in
support and by Hans-Dieter Sues anti the removal of I. anglicus as the type
species (apparently following Dave Norman) but supporting the assignment of
specimen Q of IRSNB 1534 as the lectotype of I. bernissartensis.

Two from the latest issue of Palaeontology

Lucas, S.G., A.B. Heckert & P. Huber. 1998. Aetosaurus
   (Archosauromorpha) from the Upper Triassic of the Newark
   Supergroup, Eastern United States, and its biochronological
   Significance. Palaeontology, 41(6):1215-1230.

Basically synonymizes the aetosaur Stegomus with Aetosaurus (S. arcuatus to A.
arcuatus) based on relatively trivial differences between them and discusses
biostratigraphical implications. Makes sense from what I can see.

And now a real neat one, and a nice review on the problems of being big:

Alexander, R. McNeill. 1998. All-time giants: the largest
   animals and their problems. Palaeontology, 41(6):1231-1245.

And 2 from a Brazilian journal

Carvalho, L.B. de & S.A.K. de Azevedo. 1998. Proposta
   Taxonomica para os repteis marinhos (Lepidosauria,
   Mosasauridae) de Neocretaceo da Bacia Pernambuco -
   Paraiba, Nordeste do Brasil. Boletim do Museu Nacional,
   Geologia No. 43: 1-14. [In Portugese]

Survey of 110 teeth of mosasaurs from the Upper Cretaceous of NE Brazil from
four major groups of mosasaurs.

Kellner, A.W.A. & D.A. Campos. 1998. Archosaur soft
   Tissue from the Cretaceous of the Araripe Basin,
   Northeastern Brazil.  Boletim do Museu Nacional,
   Geologia No. 42: 1-22.

This one's in English and is nice to see. A nice review. For pterosaurs,
membranes from the wing are the most common, including dark striations
interpreted as structural fibers. There are also some other integumentary
structures, crests and maybe some braincase stuff. For crocs, there is a
smattering of apparent soft integument, etc. on one specimen. The most
spectacular is from a dinosaur - the rear end of a small theropod - which
includes apparent muscle fibers, som showing striations, some infills or
replacement of blood vessels, and some epidermis is preserved. Neat and a nice
hook into the original refs for these.

That's it for now - back from vacation to ice storms, yuk.

Ralph Chapman, NMNH