Re: Kitadanisaurus

In a message dated 1/19/99 4:33:31 PM EST, j_mallon@hotmail.com writes:

<< I read somewhere on the Internet about _Kitadanisaurus_.  All the
 page said was that it was dromaeosauridae incertae sedis.  Since I've
 never before heard of this dino, could someone please enlighten me as to
 it's background?  Thanks. >>

This is a vernacular name that appeared in David Lambert's _Field Guide to the
Dinosaurs_ for an indeterminate dromaeosaurid-like tooth found in Japan. He
translated it into English from the Japanese "kitadani-ryu," which is what
some Japanese palentologists were informally calling this material. Here is my
entry for the name from _Mesozoic Meanderings_ #2 third edition manuscript:

Genus: "Kitadanisaurus" Lambert, 1990 [an indeterminate dromaeosaurid from
Katsuyama City, Japan, as noted in The Age of Dinosaurs in Japan and China
(Dong, Hasegawa & Azuma, 1990) and by Manabe & Hasegawa, 1991; known from a
single tooth; Early Cretaceous]
= "Kitadani-ryu" Azuma, 1991 [nomen nudum]

The tooth has been illustrated in one or more guidebooks to exhibitions of
Japanese fossils.