Re: Stratigraphy, biogeography & cladograms

Betty wrote:

<It seems to me that (modern birds) may simply be all that's left of a
major group of animals (major prebird creature group) that extended
from the early Jurassic right on into the late Cretaceous.>

  That's what Sankar Chatterjee proposed, I believe.

<If that is the case is it possible that (modern birds) might actually
be derived/descended from more than one line of (prebird creatures)
from this (major prebird creature group)?>

  George has proposed this, and John Jackson, too; evidence?
_Mononykus_, enantiornithans, archaeopteryigans, etc. Lineages with
vastly different morphology that apparently developed flight or
flightlessness independantly of each other, each consecutively
becoming more "bird" like. Yes, I separate enantiornithans from birds
proper (Neornithes) as a stage of separate evolution on the basis of
numerous "primitive" features as a long caudal series, many with
teeth, dinstinct ungual phalanges (ie, claws) in adults, etc. I doubt
anybody will disagree with me on this, but I'm trying to make a point.

==
- Often, it is the man who is brought
  down the path to the end who does
  not see his own steps. -