Re: Stratigraphy, biogeography & cladograms

>>And if they *all* think feathered flight evolved in multiple sublines
simultaneously, then God help palaeontology.>>

I refer you to a quote that I think can be attributed to a paper by
Nixon and Carpenter, 1996 _On simultaneous analysis_ Cladistics
12:221-241 - "Those who contrast _truth_ with explanatory power either
misunderstand the difference between science and metaphysics, or have
divine insight" ..... in short, we do _not expect_ to know the truth
about the origin, and or, evolution of birds - the cladistic method,
whether or not you choose to accept it, provides us with hypotheses that
are, at least, testable.

gareth

Gareth J. Dyke
Dept of Earth Sciences