Re: Stratigraphy, biogeography & cladograms

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:53:59 EST Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

>Not only that, but the ancestors are paraphyletic taxa, since they
>don't
>include any of their descendant species (let alone all of them).

   That reminds me of an itchy question I've had for a while: let's say
that *Pentaceratops sternbergii* is a direct descendant of *Chasmosaurus
mariscalensis*.  I'm not saying that it is factually, I'm just using it
for a scenario.
   Now, this would mean that *Chasmosaurus* is a paraphyletic genus if
*Pentaceratops* is not included, right?  And, then wouldn't *C.
mariscalensis* be a paraphyletic species if it didn't include the newly
renamed *C. sternbergii* (and who gets to keep their species name? *C.
mariscalensis*, because it's been in *Chasmosaurus* longer and would be
paraphyletic without *C. sternbergii*, who doesn't need *C.
mariscalensis* to be complete, or *C. sternbergii*, because it is an
older species name?)?
   *C. mariscalensis* has to have had an ancestor, too.  Wouldn't one
have to assume the name of the other to make the ancestor monophyletic?
   What the thing I'm getting at is, shouldn't every living thing on
Earth have the same generic and specific name as the first living thing
on Earth (which I don't think will ever be found), in order to make that
first living thing monophyletic, or can species get away with things that
families can't?
   I've heard the approach where specific and generic names are abandoned
and the specimen numbers (like USM 1180, or whatever) used instead kicked
around before, and I hope that doesn't happen, if only for my memory.
It's a lot easier to me to remember *Triceratops horridus* than all the
catalog numbers assigned to animals once designated *T. horridus*.
However, I don't know if that's correct.-*Thescelosaurus*

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]