Re: Worldest oldest duck-bill dinosaur

Gautam Majumdar wrote:

> This press release is at
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/01/990120075457.htm
>
> "DALLAS (SMU) -- The world's oldest and most primitive duck-billed
> dinosaur, dating back more than 95.5 million years, has been discovered
> by paleontologist Jason Head of the Department of Geological Sciences in
> Southern Methodist University's Dedman College of Humanities and
> Sciences."

I find it really strange that they put out this press release, as
Eolambia was published months earlier, is well dated at 98.4 million (3
my older) and is clearly a more derived animal than Head's Protohadros.
They know it, as they have copies of the my paper and I was in Texas two
months ago looking at the material with Jason and he fully agreed with
me, as does Dave Norman.

Their beast is the most primitive, but clearly it is not the oldest.

Jim Kirkland
http:\\www.gj.net/~kirkland/