T.Rex DNA?

Sorry to bring up the C -word here on the list, but I need some help
against creationist arguments!

I remember having read somewhere in the beginning of the 90s that DNA
had been extracted from a split Tyrannosaur femur. I don't remember
having thought of it that much back then, but now some creationistically
minded guy is using the story as evidence of dinosaurs having lived just
a few thousand years ago since DNA only lasts for 5000 years or so
(which AFAIK is a scientific fact). Did something like this actually
happen (was it really DNA that was found in the bone) and if yes, how
can you explain this? Thanks in advance.

T.J., a regular lurker