RE: T.Rex DNA?

<since DNA only lasts for 5000 years or so...>

        "5,000 years or so"?  Wow, that's an amazing coincidence...that just
happens to be about how old creationists say the Earth is!  They have concrete
proof!
       Some of you (particularly Tom Holze) may remember a geneticist at Ohio
State(?) named Chip (or was it Chris?) Pretzman who was on the list a couple
years ago.  He claimed (and last I heard, still claims) to have not only
isolated dinosaur DNA from dinosaur bones, but gotten enough of it from enough
species to use it in a phylogenetic analysis.  His conclusions were
rather....unorthodox, and the discussion was pretty active for a while.  He was
pretty confidant that he wasn't dealing with a contaminant due to the presence
in the samples of an 18S ribosomal subunit.  This subunit characterizes
eukaryotic ribosomes, so I'm guessing his reasoning is that it couldn't be a
_bacterial_ contaminant (although there are plenty little critters with
nucleated cells out there, namely protists and fungi).   Check the archives
around 1995 or 1996 if you are interested.  Does anyone know if he has
published anything?
      As far as I know, no one has ever proven Mesozoic DNA samples are not
contaminants, although some stuff (including a Miocene plastid) is known from
the Cenozoic.  Someone else who knows a little more on the subject will no
doubt have more to say.

LN Jeff