New refs #31

And some more as the pile finally starts to get smaller....

Forgot to mention the Avanzini article in #30 is in Italian.

Sigogneau-Russell, D. 1998. Discovery of a Late Jurassic
   Chinese mammal in the Upper Bathonian of England.
   C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris, earth & Planetary Sci., 327:571-576.

So an apparent Middle Jurassic occurrence of Shuotherium based on 5 lower
molars in the Forest Marble Fm. Potential upper molars suggest the taxon a
precociously derived clade of therians. The more mammal info we get, the better.

Kielan-Jaworowska, Z. & D. Dashzeveg. 1998. Early
   Cretaceous amphilestid (ʽtriconodontʼ) mammals from
   Mongolia. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 43(3):413-438.

Additions to the rich Mesozoic Mongolian haul of mammals (as opposed to a Hall
of Mammals). Sorry, itʼs Friday here. As you would expect from the authors,
hall of famers in Mesozoic vertebrate paleo.

Tarduno, J.A., D.B. Brinkman, P.R. Renne, R.D. Cottrell,
   H. Scher & P. Castillo. 1998. Evidence for extreme climatic
   Warmth from Late Cretaceous Arctic vertebrates.
   Science 282:2241-2244. 18DEC98

with comment...

Huber, B.T. 1998. Tropical paradise at the Cretaceous poles?
   Science 282:2199-2200.

As discussed by the list several times, champsosaurs in high lats and the
implications. Neat. Iʼd Love a Club med warm world almost as much as Mike
*never too warm for long sleeves* Brett-Surman would.

Brinkmann, W. 1998. Ichthyosaurs (Reptilia) from the
   Grenzbitumenzone (Middle Triassic) of monte San
   Giorgio (Ticino, Switzerland) - new results.
   Vierteljahrsschrift der Naturforschenden Gesellschaft
   In Zurich 143/4: 165-177. [In German]

Nice review of the 4 mixosaurids from that area.

For those interested in the taphonomy of eggs of reptiles, more info...

Hutterer, R., F. Garcia-Talavera, N. Lopez-Martinez &
   J. Michaux. 1997. New chelonian eggs from the Tertiary
   Of Lanzarote and Fuerteventura, and a review of fossil
   Tortoises of the Canary Islands (Reptilia, Testudinidae).
   Vieraea 26:139-161. [In Spanish] Just received.

Nuff said.

Nice review of some aspects of general Jurassic climates by the Hallam.

Hallam, A. 1998. The determination of Jurassic
   environments using palaeoecological methods.
   Bull. Soc. Geol. France 169(5):681-687.

More a how to and possibilities paper.

Staying in the Jurassic, a review on New Mexico by Spencer *I never sleep or my
productivity is reduced to 12 papers a day* Lucas and Orin Anderson. Donʼt
really know when Spencer does sleep given the massive of numbers of papers
coming out these days. He doesnʼt even cheat and sort of publish the same paper
over and over, as some do. Useful review.

Lucas, S.G. & O.J. Anderson. 1998. Jurassic stratigraphy
   And correlation in New Mexico. New Mexico Geology,
   20(4):97-104.

And now a huge symposium of the latest views on Cretaceous Stage boundaries -
very useful.

Rawson, P.F., A.V. Dhondt, J.M. Hancock & W.J. Kennedy.
   1996. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium
   On Cretaceous Stage Boundaries, Brussels 8-16 September,
   1995. Bull. De lʼInstitut Royal des Sciences Naturalles de
   Belgique. V. 66 (Suppl.):117 p. 12 papers on stages and
   summary. This just came in for some reason.

Iʼll finish here with 2 papers from the Japanese journal, the Journal of Fossil
Research, again this one just came in to our library system. They had a section
on Biomechanics in one issue and two papers seemed potentially interesting...

Inuzuka, N. 1996. Biomechanics for paleontology.
   Journal of Fossil Research, 29(1):1-3. [In Japanese]

This one cites Alexanderʼs works on dinos but I have no idea what it says about
the beasts.

This next one, however, has some neat illustrations of walking theropods and
sauropods and Iʼd love to get a translation. Has an interesting origami feel to
it - and I know there are amazing tomes on origami which include lots of
detailed dinosaurs.

Yamazaki, N. 1996. Biomechanical restoration of fossil
   animalʼs locomotion by computer simulation.
   Journal of Fossil Research, 29(1):4-12. [In Japanese]

This one does have an English abstract which talks about his approach which
includes, of course, taking into account the effects of gravity - including
some harmonic aspects - and discusses energy use and the goodness of walking in
a way to make use of this harmonic and the natural oscillation of the segments.
I will be trying to talk with Yamazaki to get him in on some on-going stuff.
Will let you know if anything else is out there.

Thatʼs enough for a little while...

Ralph Chapman, NMNH