RE: Sinosauropteryx protofeathers

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Phillip Bigelow [SMTP:bh162@scn.org]
        Sent:   Friday, January 22, 1999 12:50 AM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        RE: Sinosauropteryx protofeathers
        --
        "It's too bad that SEM machines cost so much, or I would already
have
        one in my garage.  Darn handy things to have around the house, I
would
        imagine." (spoken to myself  last summer while in a heat-stroke
stupor
        in the middle of Montana).

          We have 5 SEM (scanning electron microscopes) here, but they
monitor what gets analyzed in them.
        They're inside our Class One Room.  Rumor had it that one of my
fellow physicists became curious &
        stuck one of his hairs in a SEM.   Haven't seen him for awhile...
:-)  But, SEM'ing feathers would provide some interesting potential analysis
tools.

        Dwight