RE: Dinosaurs to birds

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Dinogeorge@aol.com [SMTP:Dinogeorge@aol.com]
        Sent:   Friday, January 22, 1999 3:06 AM
        To:     Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com; jbois@umd5.umd.edu
        Cc:     Alien4240@aol.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Re: Dinosaurs to birds

        In a message dated 1/22/99 3:03:22 AM EST, Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com
writes:

        << I'm not sure I'm
         comfortable with the luck concept when applied to global events. >>

        Given the global nature of the bolide impact, the luck would be in
the
        survival rather than in the extinction. Most all the large
vertebrates were
        wiped out; only a few lucky ones here and there survived.

        @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

           But, still, why did THOSE particular large vertebrates survive?
Individual cases of luck, where
        one particular specimen survives, yet not another; I can understand.
But, why were non avian
        dinosaurs, plesiosaurs, etc. so globally unlucky?  Luck, by
definition should be totally random & governed by the laws of statistical
chance.  The KT extinction was massive, but why did some animals & plants
cross the boundary in large numbers, but others completely vanished?
           I've heard the large endothermic theory expounded to explain why
big, high metabolism animals might be more vulnerable to starvation.  But,
many dinosaurs were not large.  Whether the bolide was the cause of the KT
extinction or just "the last straw" there appears to be a missing piece of
this puzzle.  Interesting
        problem.  Hopefully, more data will help shed some light on this.

        Dwight