        From:   King, Norm [SMTP:nking.ucs@smtp.usi.edu]
        Sent:   Friday, January 22, 1999 8:21 AM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        When crocodiles poop

        Believe it or not, I just looked up this word to see if it is a noun
or
        verb, or both.  I mean, when they defecate, what do they produce--a
tight
        little sausage-like thingy (I call coprolites "petrified turds" to
get a
        few laughs in my dinos class, but I'm positive there must be a more
        sophisticated term) or a dollop of a slurry that looks like whipped
cream
        (in the barnyard, you might call it chickenwhip)?

        I just asked our resident herpetologist, and he just walked away
shaking
        his head.  I think he's trying to avoid me more and more lately.

        Norman R. King                                       tel:  (812)
464-1794
        Department of Geosciences                            fax:  (812)
464-1960
        University of Southern Indiana
        8600 University Blvd.
        Evansville, IN 47712                      e-mail:
nking.ucs@smtp.usi.edu