Re: Turbocharged Dinosaurs

Links to this and many other science news stories can be found at
<http://kidscience.miningco.com.msub23.htm>.

One such article on the Oregon State University zoology department study on
_Scipionyx samniticus_ and the OSU interpretation of the theropod respiratory
system can be found at <www.eurekalert.org/releases/oresu-rfs011599.html>.  You
can view enormous online images of the fossil photographed under ultraviolet
light at <www.osu.orst.edu/dept/ncs/photos/index.html>.  There is also an image
at Dr. John Ruben's "Vertebrate Paleobiology Laboratory" site at
<http://ucs.orst.edu/~joneste/rubenlab.htm>, and you can get further background
on Ruben's work by clicking on various highlighted words at this and
subsequent sites.  There is also a small image of the ultraviolet-illuminated
fossil at
<http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/dinosaurs990121.html>, but I
almost wonder if this was color corrected, because it doesn't display the same
Maxfield Parrish palette.

I'm not saying I buy the conclusions of this research, but I'm sure that many
of you would at least like to have a look at the fossil under the ultraviolet
glow.

Ralph Miller III <gbabcock@best.com>

"This is your theropod.  This is your theropod under black light."