RE: Dinosaurs to birds

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Dinogeorge@aol.com [SMTP:Dinogeorge@aol.com]
        Sent:   Saturday, January 23, 1999 2:19 AM
        To:     Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com; Stewart@aol.com; Dwight@usc.edu
        Cc:     Alien4240@aol.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Re: Dinosaurs to birds

        In a message dated 1/23/99 3:06:37 AM EST, Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com
writes:

        << But, still, why did THOSE particular large vertebrates survive?
         Individual cases of luck, where
                one particular specimen survives, yet not another; I can
understand.
         But, why were non avian
                dinosaurs, plesiosaurs, etc. so globally unlucky?  Luck, by
         definition should be totally random & governed by the laws of
statistical
         chance. >>

        "Luck" is what we call it when we can't come up with a more detailed
        explanation, due (usually) to lack of data.

        :-)!  Agreed!  The hope is that we can get enough of the right sort
of data to sort this out better.

        Dwight