Re: Dinosaurs to birds

In a message dated 1/23/99 3:06:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com writes:

<< Individual cases of luck, where
        one particular specimen survives, yet not another; I can understand. >>

I remember a documentary in which cheetahs (?) were shown to be descended from
a very few mating pairs after some ancient catastrophe; something about the
amount of genetic variation over time.  Though the amount of time from KT to
now is a lot longer, does this approach help answer the question about the
number of survivors in a given species?