Re: Dinosaurs to birds

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> "Luck" is what we call it when we can't come up with a more detailed
> explanation, due (usually) to lack of data.

This seems illogical to me.  When we don't have enough data we should say:
"We don't know.  It could be luck or it could be replacement of one group
by another due to differential success."

Luck should never act as a kind of default hypothesis.  The tendency to
ascribe it is only a superficial fad, one that, with any luck, will go
away some day soon.