Re: Aalenian Dinosaurs?

T. Mike Keesey wrote:

> In a recent post, Pete Buchholz pointed out that hardly any theropods are
> known from the Middle Jurassic at all. I've just recently created a
> cgi-bin search form to search the species (and unnamed material) listed on
> my site by time & place (this search form and others will be up on my site
> for everyone to use just as soon as I get my own server), so I decided to
> explore this. To my surprise, I found that not only are no theropods known
> from the Aalenian Age (the first age of the Middle Jurassic), but no
> dinosaurs, period, are known from the Aalenian! (No pterosaurs, either!)
> Two explanations I can think of:
>
> 1) There are Aalenian dinosaurs, but they're obscure and I only have them
> listed as "Middle Jurassic" (or just "Jurassic") or haven't found any
> information at all on their time period.
>
> 2) No Aalenian dinosaurs are known.
>
> Is the latter the case? Are there really just no good terrestrial Aalenian
> deposits in the world? That's a pretty good-sized gap!

I did a check on my dino data base and this is what I came up with...

Genus: Magnosaurus von HUENE, 1932
Etymology: Latin Magnus, large or great and Greek for sauros, "Large
lizard".

Species: nethercombensis (von HUENE, 1926)
= Megalosaurus nethercombensis von HUENE, 1926
Etymology: For the region of Nethercomb, where the fossil was found.

Holotype: OUM J. 12143

Locality: Nethercomb, 1 mile north of Sherborne, Dorset, England.

Horizon: Stephanoceras humpriesianum zone of the Middle Inferior Oolite,
Aalenian-Bajocian, Middle Jurassic.

Material: Fragmentary paired dentaries with teeth (/1), one dorsal
vertebrae (/9b), both tibia , fragment of a fibula (/2), and fragment of
right pubis (/3), paired femora (/6/7), and caudal vertebra (/8).
Megalosaurus

Species: hesperis WALDMAN, 1974
Etymology:
Etymology: Greek, hesperos, the West, western.
= Megalosaurus bucklandi von MEYER, 1883, non RITGEN, 1826

Holotype: BMNH R 332, 333

Locality: As per WALDMAN, 1974 'There appears to be some confusion in
the literature with regard to the exact provenance of the M. hesperis
material. Owen (1883, 1884), and Mansel-Pleydell (1888) did not give
exact location in the Sherboren area, while Buckman (1893) gave the
location as: 'Redhole Lane, Sherborne,-(about 1 mile N. of Abbey).'
Edward Cleminshaw, who originally obtained the material, is quoted by
Richardson (1916) as stating: "The site of the quarry in which the
remains were found is very near the back of the houses on the north side
of Cold Harbour Road,. . ..' It is evident from Richardson (1932) and
the Directory of British Fossiliferous Localities that these locations
do not coincide, and as Cleminshaw secured the material [although not
its discoverer (Richardson 1916)] I have no reason to doubt his
statement of the provenance of the specimen.', Dorset, England.

Horizon: Upper Inferior Oolite, Parkinsonia parkinsoni Zone, Garantiana
garantiana subzone, Aalenian-Bajocian, Middle Jurassic.

Material: Right maxilla, parts of both premaxillae, both dentaries, part
of the right surangular, part of the ?vomer, and an isolated tooth.

Megalosaurus sp

WEISHAMPEL, 1990, 1992 (Benton pers. Comm.)

Number:

Locality: Northamptonshire, England.

Horizon: Inferior Oolite, Aalenian-Bajocian, Early Jurassic.

Material:?

Number:

Locality: Gloucestershire, England.

Horizon: Inferior Oolite, Aalenian-Bajocian, Early Jurassic.

Material:

Cetiosaurus

Species: Nova MARTIN, 1987, MARTILL & CLARKE, 1994

Leicestershire Museum and Art Gallery, G 468.1968

Locality: Stamford, Lincolnshire, England.

Horizon: Rutland Formation, Aalenian, Middle Jurassic.

Material: Fragmentary skeleton.

Genus: Rhoetosaurus LONGMAN, 1925
Etymology:
= Rhaetosaurus de LAPPARENT & LAVOCAT, 1955 (sic)
= Rheteosaurus YADAGIRI, PRASAD & SATSANGI, 1979 (sic)

Species: brownei LONGMAN, 1925

Holotype: QM F1695

Locality: About 1/4 mile on the south side of Eurombah Creek on Grazing
Farm 1352a, Roma District, being portion Iv, parish of Narran, County,
of Aberdeen, northwest corner of the selection, Eurombah Creek is a
tributary of Dawson River, Durham Downs, Queensland, Australia.

Horizon: Walloon Series, ?Bajocian, Early Jurassic.
Note: According to LEES, 1986 probably Injune Creek beds,
Bajocian/Aalenian, Middle Jurassic.

Material: 22 vertebrae, 16 of which is articulated caudal's, shafts of
femur, tibia, and fibula, and many smaller remains of a pelvis, most of
which are shattered into many small fragments.

They're are known from teh Aalenian, just not many.

Tracy