Signor/Lipps effect

Usually I just read, observe, and learn, but I have seen several opposing
views on wether or not dinosaurs declined before the K/T boundary and am
curious about everyone's opinion. My stratigraphy professor (U of Iowa)
mentioned last semester that a decline had occurred prior to the
bolide/comet date. I also remember a list member adamantly denouncing any
decline and naming several late Maastrichtian sites with fossil evidence
to prove his view. (Can't remember when, a few months back I believe..)
        Is this issue still in debate?

Chad Laibly
U of Iowa
Geology B.S.