Re: Dinosaurs to birds

Dinogeorge wrote:
>In a message dated 1/21/99 7:03:59 PM EST, Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com writes:
>
><< It has certainly been inferred that
> dinosaurs were already
>       in decline when the bolide hit the ole barn.  If birds were
> experiencing an incline during the
>       late Cretaceous, your scenario might still work.  >>
>
>I don't >have< a scenario. There's not enough information about bird
diversity
>around the K/T boundary to formulate a scenario.

Alan Feduccia did write once that avian diversity did encounter a
bottleneck at the end of the Cretaceous only to experience a boom
afterwards. The enantiornithines, of course, were the victims, while the
neornithine basal stock acted as the progenitors of today's current avain
fauna (with his shorebird-duck, shorebird-flamingo and shorebird-ibis
mosaic forms).

BTW, anyone have Feduccia's address? A former colleague of his is back here
in the Philippines and hasn't contacted him in a while.

Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog
Mines and Geosciences Bureau
Philippines