Re: randomness...

In a message dated 1/24/99 12:52:41 PM EST, c992@scatcat.fhsu.edu writes:

<< I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have always viewed
 evolution, and most biological processes, as an overlying order coming
 from an underlying chaos.  The order in evolution can be seen in the
 'trends' we are all discussing here, such as the trend within many
 lineages to get larger with time.  These trends could be the result of
 life always having to evolve to some environmental constants (plants
 always need light, preds always have to catch some other animal, little
 things like that), though of course I've no real proof.  The underlying
 chaos is the mutations and mating combinations formed in each
 generation, as well as random kill-offs (the afore-mentioned poison gas
 clouds) and random survivals (those critters in the afore-mentioned
 valley). >>

This is indeed a very clear and sensible picture of the evolutionary process.