New refs: avian-radiation and paleoclimate

Hey, did I beat Ralph on this?

Just glanced at the latest _Geology_....

Wolfe, J.A. and K. Uemura. 1999. Using fossil leaves as
paleoprecipitation indicators: An Eocene example. Comment. Geology
27(1):91-92.

Wilf, P., S.L. Wing, D. R. Greenwood, and C.L. Greewood. 1999. Using
fossil leaves as paleoprecipitation indicators: An Eocene example.
Reply. Geology 27(1):92-93.

A very interesting debate between the two groups of authors.  I tend to
see the point that Wolf and Uemura made more than Wilf et al.  I'll have
to read it over more carefully.

Now for duh birdies:

Marshall, C.R. 1999. Fossil gap analysis supports early Tertiary origin
of trophically diverse avian orders. Comment. Geology 27(1):95.

Bleiweiss, R. 1999. Fossil gap analysis supports early Tertiary origin
of trophically diverse avian orders. Reply.  Geology 27(1):95-96.

These guys are going at it over Bleiweiss' 1998 paper in _Geology_.
Frankly, this bird radiation stuff seems so equivocal at times that I
don't know who to believe!  Both papers are quick reads, although it is
helpful to have read Bleiweiss' 1998 paper first.

Bleiweiss, R. 1998. Fossil gap analysis supports early Tertiary origin
of trophically diverse avian orders. Geology 26:323-326.

I always like the journal _Geology_, because they actually publish
paleo-related research.  It's as though they acknowledge that
paleontology actually exists!  :-)

                          <pb>