Re: THEROPOD-BIRD RESPIRATION

Spider monkeys do so regularily.  BUT if the protobirds had to first
develop a completely primate-like flexible tail to keep it out of the
muck and to balance with while arborial and THEN lose it entirely within
a very short span of time to give us real birds?  Hmmm...

How did the loss of the tails of the very early ancestors of Homo
sapiens coincide with the steps from arborality >to> biped?  I assume
the pre-biped human ancestor must have had a nice
lemur/opposum/squirrel-like tail at some point and then lost it either
coinciding with bipedal development or perhaps ever prior to coming out
of a tree.  Lucy doesn't have a tail after all so tail loss would have
been very very early.

If we could show that prePrimates lost a prehensile tail quickly we
could perhaps infer that birds could.

-Betty Cunningham

--
remove the dash in email replies