FW: The "ideal" Eumaniraptoran arm motion

 Try running along, with some pieces of stiff cardboard in your hands to
approximate the surface drag that would be produced if you had feathers
attached (enough for near flight conditions) and try to catch butterflies (or
something)using this type of forearm motion, see if it improves things.

[Jeffrey Martz]

      This experiment could be improved.  Turn into a theropod, evolve a
semi-lunate carpal wrist and other maniraptorian modifications of the arms and
shoulder girdle, and turn the cardboard into real feathers.  "Aerodynamic drag"
of wing feathers is what allows birds to propel themselves by flapping, and
they can do it considerably faster then I can clap two pieces of cardboard
together.  I tend to be a little leery of simple home science experiments as
particularly trustworthy models of what real animals can do.

LN Jeff