Re: ROBOFISH

GSPaul wrote:
> On the Discovery Channel was very brief mention of realistic robotic
fish
> being developed by the Japanese. They hope to develop them into an
aquarium of
> fossil fishes. Does anyone have additional info on who these people
are?

(apologies in advance for any formatting errors)
>From the CNN archives:

Title:  Silicone sea bream lure Japanese anglers

February 25, 1999
Web posted at: 1:48 p.m. EST (1848 GMT)

TOKYO (CNN) -- Japan has reported a  new leap in robot technology -- an
artificial fish that looks and swims exactly like the real thing.

Scientists at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries  took four years to develop
the robotic fish, for use in the popular fish farms where Japanese like
to practice their angling skills.

The silicone sea bream created by Mitsubishi weighs 2 1/2 kilograms (5.5
pounds), is about half-a-meter long (half-a-yard) and can swim for up to
30 minutes before its battery needs recharging. Some observers have said
the robotic fish is so lifelike that only close inspection of its
mechanical eye gives it away.

The movement of the fish fins, which is controlled by a computer, mimics
the complex technology used to keep a submarine hovering, said Yuuji
Terada, from Mitsubishi's electronics research and development
department.

Mitsubishi has been involved with developing and building ships and
other ocean structures for more than a century.

The company spent $1 million to create the robotic fish and a special
tank, which is lined with scores of tiny sensors that transmit the
movement messages from computer terminals to the fish.

Plans to build a "virtual aquarium," filled with extinct sea creatures
are in the works by Mitsubishi, which has already succeeded in producing
a model of a coelacanth fish weighing 40 kilograms (88 pounds) and
measuring 1.2 meters
(yards) in length.

"If this technology disseminates well enough, the cost could go down and
we might have (the fish displayed) in our entrance hall," Terada said.
"But, at this point, I really cannot say that is happening."

The Associated Press contributed to this story.
                             <pb>