FW: The "ideal" Eumaniraptoran arm motion

<Still, biological life forms must obey physical principles. They atmospheric
<friction, drag, whatever, that would be caused by cardboard or feathers,
<whatever, would tend to slow down the arms as they are swept forward in <the
"ideal" prey catching motion that maniraptorans were capable of.

[Jeffrey Martz]
     Sure, but would it slow it down enough to prevent it from catching
something small and fast?  If increasing the area of the insect net increases
insect catching more then drag on the feathers decreases it, then it might be a
worthwhile trade-off.  I not necessarily trying to defend the insect net idea,
which can be objected to for a number of reasons.  I've never been crazy about
playing the "what if" game with flight origins.  My point was that humans
slapping cardboard together might not be the best model for theropods snatching
at something with their arms.
     In any case, I'm not certain that those who suggest that maniraptioran
adaptations in the wrist were for prey catching are thinking in terms of
insects and insect nets, or even having prominent feathers on the arm at all.
I believe Ostrom proposed that idea for the origins of large feathers on the
hand and forearm, not pectoral girdle and wrist adaptations (which would have
come earlier).

LN Jeff