Re: Reptile skin comparisons

Patrick Norton wrote:

> In perusing the past few months of National Geographic, I was struck by the
> similarity of two photos--one being the scales along the throat of an
> Anaconda, and the other that mysterious line of scales on one piece of the
> embryonic sauropod skin found in Argentina.  I scanned them in for those
> interested in looking for themselves at:
> www.geocities.com/soho/village/2591/

This is interesting. I have always been struck by the similarity between
the pattern of throat scales when a snake is swallowing something
large (when they are separated by areas of skin) and the pattern of
throat feathers on male frigate birds when they blow up their throat
pouches. Analogous structures, or feathers as derived scales? Am I
clutching at straws? You be the judge.

        Dann Pigdon
        GIS Archaeologist
        Melbourne, Australia